Audley Villa on Audley Avenue.

Audley Villa on Audley Avenue.

Description:

Audley Villa on Audley Avenue. Exterior, front view. 'The Avenue' was originally along Marsh Lane, now Audley Avenue, with Marsh Trustees' land on either side. Planted with lime trees in 1877. Used for horse racing, Audley Villa was the grandstand for the race course in the early 19th century. Known by the local people as the 'High Life' because the gentry used to dine there behind closed doors. The workhouse next door and the cemetery further up the road, were known respectively as Low Life and No Life at All.