The National Provincial Bank.

The National Provincial Bank.

Description:

The National Provincial Bank. Newport High Street. Exterior, front. Above the bank entrance, the Latin numerals read: MDCCCXXXIII (1833). A manuscript comment next to the photo reads "The bars in the windows have been removed June/06. C.H.B". C.H.B indicates that Clement H Barrow wrote these words. He also noted that "The 4 windows to the left at the centre RWP are dummies." The bank became the National Provincial & Union Bank in 1918. In 1962 the District Bank joined them and in 1968 the Westminster Bank. The building was demolished in 1937 and replaced. (N.B. The word 'BANK' on the image has been written over in ink.)