The National Provincial Bank.

The National Provincial Bank.

Description:

The National Provincial Bank. Newport High Street. Exterior, side view (now currently entrance). A manuscript comment next to the photo reads "Bank's name is clearly cut on frieze between porch and corner. C.H.B". C.H.B indicates that Clement H Barrow wrote these words. The bank became the National Provincial & Union Bank in 1918. In 1962 the District Bank joined them and in 1968 the Westminster Bank. This side view shows the manager's residence and, to the left, his stables. Only the stables survive today - the bank was demolished in 1937 and replaced. Note the old pavementing to the front.