The Bridge Inn Chetwynd End.

The Bridge Inn Chetwynd End.

The Bridge Inn Chetwynd End. Exterior, front. This inn has been a public house at least since the 17th century. This building held an important position on the old garrison route of the kings of Mercia from their capital at Tamworth to Chester. Lady Godiva held the manor at Chetwynd about one mile north. The inn was at the south end of Chetwynd on the edge of Newport Pool on the Mill Pool dam. The earliest deeds are from 1669, when it was owned by the Cherrington family, and a Nailor also occupied an attached cottage (now demolished). The original name of the inn was the ‘Cross Keys’, and it was changed to the Bridge in 1828. The bar with the cellar underneath is the earliest part of the building. A newel post at the foot of the staircase is 17th century.