Salters Hall with SS Peter and Paul Catholic church.

Salters Hall with SS Peter and Paul Catholic church.

Salters Hall with SS Peter and Paul Catholic church. The hall was built for the Salter family who came to Newport from Oswestry c 1483. The house was acquired through marriage by the Chetwynd family who later married into the Talbot’s and the Hall was used as a dower house for the Talbot’s for many years. The hall is now the priest’s residence. The church was the pre catholic cathedral for Shropshire, and was possibly designed by Pugin. It opened in 1832.