Site of Pitchcroft Mines near Church Aston.
Site of Pitchcroft Mines near Church Aston. It is believed that mining/quarrying in this area started in the 17th century and continued until about 1860. Last Shaft is to the left of railway and North Shaft in the distance to the right. The main complex and canal basin also to the right. After 1848 a mineral line connected the workings to the railway. The Last Inn can be seen far left. (Courtesy of Shropshire Mining Club.)