Aqualate Estate lodge and gates on A518 Newport to Stafford road.

Aqualate Estate lodge and gates on A518 Newport to Stafford road.

Description:

Aqualate Estate lodge and gates on A518 Newport to Stafford road. Exterior. Before the Nash redesign, the road from Stafford to Newport ran along the north side of the park - where the Main and Back Drives are now. In 1807 Sir John Fenton Fletcher obtained a court order permitting this road to be diverted to the south of the park- where it is now - and for it to be turnpiked. His eldest son, Thomas, built the two lodges in 1835.