127 High Street.

127 High Street.

Description:

127 High Street. Exterior, front. The original building was built in the 17th century and housed the workshop of a candle maker, whilst a butcher hung his meat in a passage at the side. For a short time in the mid Victorian period, it was the rectory. In 1900, through the inspiration of local philanthropist - Mary Roddam - it became the district nurses home, which later incorporated a maternity home. It is now an annexe of Adams Grammar School.