17 High Street.
17 High Street. ‘The Literary Institute’. Exterior, front. Also showing original 18th century pavement. This was the site of the Talbot inn, burnt in the great fire of Newport in 1665. The building was erected in 1738 by August Perry for John Cotes of Woodcote and called the Town House. The Institute, foundered in 1883, originally started in a building on Wellington Road corner before it moved in 1927 to the present site.