District Bank High Street.

District Bank High Street.

District Bank High Street. Later the United Counties Bank, before being taken over by Barclays Bank. Originally this was the Red Lion Inn (1690) and it later became 3 shops in the early 19th century. Described as “a fanciful piece of early 19th century work, consisting of a Georgian facade with a first floor centre window framed by semi-circular arch supported on Ionic columns”. Barclays Bank Yard at the side and rear was the inn’s yard having accommodation and stabling, which is now used for business premises. The first postmaster of Newport had his office in the Red Lion in 1690.