View of High Street northwards towards church.

View of High Street northwards towards church.

Description:

View of High Street northwards towards church. Showing Butter Cross, Elkes confectionery business and Middle Row, buildings backing on to church. These were demolished 1904 and were called 'Church yard houses'. Middle Row was originally called Rotton Row ('route de roi'), but by the middle of the 19th century civic pride caused the name to be changed. Notice Howle's photographic business to the left (in business c1863-1905).