Royal Victoria Hotel St Mary Street.
Royal Victoria Hotel St Mary Street. Exterior, front. Originally ‘The Union’, and built of the site of ‘The Bear’. Local people subscribed to the building project of the new Union, to be the principal hotel in the town. It has the fashionable five bays and two and a half storeys surmounted by a very shallow pediment of the period. William Liddle came from the Red Lion to be the first hotel manager. Renamed in 1832 after the princess Victoria.