Royal Victoria Hotel St Mary Street and 140 High Street.
Royal Victoria Hotel St Mary Street and 140 High Street. Exterior, front. Also showing a boot and shoe shop to the north. Originally ‘The Union’, and built on the site of ‘The Bear’, it has the fashionable five bays and two and a half storeys surmounted by a very shallow pediment of the period. Local people subscribed to the building project of the new Union; the principal hotel in the town. William Liddle came from the Red Lion to be the first hotel manager. Renamed in 1832 after the Princess Victoria.