Royal Victoria Hotel, St Mary Street.
Royal Victoria Hotel, St Mary Street. Exterior, front. Originally the Union, and built of the site of the Bear Inn. Local people subscribed to the building project of the new Union, and this was to be the principal hotel in the town. It has the fashionable five bays and two and a half storeys surmounted by a very shallow pediment of the period. William Liddle came from the Red Lion to be the first hotel manager. It was renamed in 1832 after the Princess Victoria visited it and she herself declared that it would now be called ‘The Royal Victoria Hotel’.