View of St Nicholas church.
View of St Nicholas church. (St Nicholas was patron saint of fishermen.) The church was built in the 12th century and partly rebuilt in the 15th and 16th centuries. The upper part of the tower was refaced in 1662 and new battlements built. In 1728 work was done to the north and south aisles, replacing sandstone with brick work. Some interior restoration was done in 1837-8, but the majority of the rebuilding work was done between 1882-1896.