Puleston Cross in front of Middle Row.

Puleston Cross in front of Middle Row.

Description:

Puleston Cross in front of Middle Row. Such crosses denoting the market place in the early 14th century. It was moved here in 1663 after the old market hall was built by William Adams. It was constructed in memory of Sir John Puleston who lost his life in 1294, during the reign of Edward 1st in campaign against Wales. It was moved to the current position and then the Butter Cross market hall was built around it, hence its local name 'the Butter Cross'.