Puleston Cross, Middle Row.

Puleston Cross, Middle Row.

Puleston Cross, Middle Row. A cross denoting the market place in the early 14th century. Moved to this position in 1633 after the new market hall was built by William Adams. Constructed in memory of Sir John Puleston who lost his life in 1294, during the reign of Edward 1st in campaign against Wales. It was moved to the current position and then the Butter Cross (market) was built around it, hence its local name ‘the Butter Cross’.