Wellington Road corner with High Street.
Wellington Road corner with High Street. Showing, on the right, Newport Literary Institute and Cartwright’s newsagent and tobacconist. The Literary Institute, foundered in 1883, originally started on the Wellington road corner but is now on the High Street. This Institute was for the improvement of the male working classes. They could read newspapers there; baths were available, and they could attend talks. TF Boughey was a founder member.